SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaborders that never leave the slip? I don't get it. Help!
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
There might be another reason as well. My wife and I recently ran away from an older life - shooed out the kids, sold the house, moved away, new job, bought our beloved CS 36T to liveaboard right downtown. We started all over broke but with a fabulous lifestyle and some of the best sailing possible. The PNW and Gulf Islands are spectacular areas to sail in. Anyway, not three months after all this we are out sailing in a bit of a heavy chop, and a stiff, old mooring line (that I was going to replace) unflaked itself from the bow and slipped under the boat. I guess you know what happened next.
The long and the short of it is it will take about a month to repair prop shaft, redo shaft log, replace strut, etc, and so for about a week we have been living out of a VW bus. We are officially homeless, and know few people in town. Even with insurance we'll be lucky to get out of that yard for less than three grand. If we move into a motel or some such it'll cost around 1700 or so. A nice afternoon sail ends up costing near 5 thousand dollars that we don't have right now, plus we don't have a place to live. This has got me thinking a lot about the whole enterprise; I wanted a simpler life, and I wanted to sail; perhaps these are mutually exclusive. At any rate until we get some money in the bank, I'm gonna think twice before I leave the slip. I'm starting to think that it's better to do what my neighbor did: you have a boat for living and a boat for sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook