SailNet Community - View Single Post - Live aboard a Helms 25?
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2002

Stede is on a distinguished road
Live aboard a Helms 25?

Cowboy,Your dilemma is very similar to my own. I have a 26 ft.boat that I love also.I''ve sailed her in many locals including: Annapolis, NC outer banks,Charleston,and a recent 4 week trip to the Keys/Bahamas.During the last trip,I asked myself that same question, "could I live aboard this boat?". The answer for me was "yes." There are some drawbacks, but also some advantages. I think the real key is knowing where you are going to sail.For coastal cruising,and maybe an occasional jump over to the Bahamas, a small well fitted out boat will do fine. However,living on the boat for three weeks is a lot different than I imagine living on her for three months, or even three years will be!Really though, when you think about it, when do you really need a lot of space down below? Entertaining maybe? Of course the number of crew members are a major consideration, but in my case I sail single-handed.After sailing from point (A) to point (B), I''m ready to get off the boat and see what''s on shore, which is mostly where I''ll be until sailing on to point (C). I believe it''s all revelant to what your personal preferences are. The best scenario I could come up with for myself, is to: save up enough money to buy a good 36-38 footer. Once I do, I''ll start cruising on my 26 footer. After spending a longer period of time on her and making sure the cruising lifestyle is for me, if the size of the boat grows uncomfortable, I''ll sell her and get a bigger boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook