SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising On A Cal 20
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLaPaz View Post
Is there a reason that half the people here seem Hell-bent on trying to see the world via sailboat on $17.00 budgets? I really just don't get it, Kids. My advice is that blue water cruising and circumnavigating entails a boat of at least 30 feet, well built, a year to prep and practice on her, some well made gear, some research and a strict exercise program to adhere to. This "He did it on a Laser" crap is a recipe for possible disaster at the worst, but more probably at least utter disapointment most of the time. Just save up and buy the proper tool for the job. Like anything else.........
After all these years I am very sorry to find out that I was only fooling myself when I did trans Atlantic trips on 22 footers, 27 footers 30 footers etc. At the time I thought I was having fun.

Willy,
A 20 foot Cal is a little light for my taste. You might have problems carrying enough provisions because carrying capacity and the boats displacement are related. The heaver the boat the more weight you can carry is a general rule. Also the smaller boat doesn’t work to windward in any kind of a headwind so you need to be very careful about your choice of route. And the usual caveats about preparing both yourself and the boat.
Good luck and enjoy,
Robert Gainer

Last edited by Tartan34C; 10-01-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook