SailNet Community - View Single Post - Price & Quality of Rope
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Price & Quality of Rope

Nathan:

I don''t race but I do count on halyards and sheets lasting a long time and being easy to live with, day after day. Here''s a ''shopping method'' I''d suggest using: open up 2 windows in your browser and alternate between a retailer''s product choices (e.g. Defender) and the product manufacturer''s web site to gather elongation and breaking strength data, building a little table on a scratch piece of paper as you collect price vs. performance data for the line size(s) you''re needing. When doing this recently, I ended up being amazed at what a great buy Samson line from Defender is. Their XLS line, designed to compete with NER''s Sta-Set, has almost half the elongation, similar strength and is far cheaper. That''s how I ended up choosing Samson genoa sheets two years ago, which have held up well in constant use in the Caribbean. This time my plan was altered a bit by a huge discount offered by Sailnet on NER''s Sta-Set X, a line I find unfriendly to handle but which performs well. But shopping the data made a big impression on me about what ultimately was a good buy.

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook