SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't have to be rich to sail
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

There is enough philosopical stuff above for me not to want to repeat it.

My attitude is that if you want to own a boat you have to have something to turn into boat. Some folks have lots of money and turn that into boat.

I bought a boat that if I had a lot of money I could afford. But I don't have a lot of money. So I have to find something else that I can afford to turn into boat.

I am blessed with the ability to make things and fix things. So the boat that I own is partly funded using money but mostly funded by skills that I have and that others have to pay for. So I turn those skills into boat.

I have a lot of patience so I turn patience into boat. If the thing I am making turns out to be sub-standard, I make another one until I get one that satifies my standard. It may still not be perfect but works for me without turning my boat into an eyesore.

I also have a standard that meets the combination of money and skills - I don't need perfect - as long as the boat stays presentable, reliable and safe I'm OK with it.

I have posted this before - the truth of it is that if I had to pay someone else to do all the upgrades and R&M, the boat I own would be out of my reach.

So my wealth is not money - but many people think it is. I don't work very hard at explaining it to them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook