SailNet Community - View Single Post - Super reference on this topic...
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Super reference on this topic...

Thought I''d just mention I''m getting a lot of value out of carefully reading Offshore Sailing by Bill Seifert. Many, many books tell you ''the way something should be'' but very few give you specific examples of "how to" based on many years experience, the "why" behind the methods suggested, and the resources (often non-marine related) to get the job done in a seamanlike manner. The Appendices are, all by themselves, worth the price of the book (and worth far more than I had to pay for it on Amazon).

For those of you who don''t recognize Bill Seifert''s name, he''s the guy Dan Spurr would always mention when editor of Practical Sailor. Dan''s comments would usually start out something like, "Bill stopped by the other day to show us something [busted piece of gear; new gizmo not in the chandelry; helpful tool] we''d never seen before..."

I originally found this at WM (which is where you might be able to examine it more carefully than I initially did), wavered about buying ''yet another'' book, and finally purchased it just before the trip I''m currently on. The pages of tips, changes and ideas it''s generated in my notebook will improve WHOOSH in many areas, especially in the categories of safety and seamanship. I will use ''sticky tabs'' to ID the Appendix pages where needed and it will live very close to the nav station when underway.

And no, Bill''s not my brother-in-law. Just a solid guy with lots to share of value. Hope it''s of value to some of you, too.

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook