SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailing in circles! please help
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2002
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
sailing in circles! please help

Hi, I am fairly new to the world of sailing and have just recently bought a Hutton 24, a little known boat based on the Dufour 24 hull but with more accomodation. I have taken it out a few times and I have one problem that with my limited sailing experience I am struggling to work out. My boat has a tendency to go in cicrles! Better put whenever I try and tack the tendency is once into the tack for the boat to gain momentum and bear away on the new tack, with the boat almost pointing downwind, or indeed gybing back onto its original tack. During this process any effort to try and correct with the tiller seems hopeless. With a little caution and subtlety on the tiller I am learning to avoid it, however it still seems like something isn''t quite right, I have sailed other boats (J24''s) and haven''t had anything like this problem. I have noticed and the yacht broker I bought the boat through also remarked that the jib is quite large, could this be part of the problem?? I also have a spade rudder and im not sure if this could also be part of the problem, however going downwind, or under power the boat steers like a charm, its only upwind that it likes to do this little dance.
Any suggestions ????
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook