SailNet Community - View Single Post - HerSailnet...Ground Rules
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Sailhagg,
Quite inspiring story, well related.

It has been noted often that this forum is basically dead, and no one wants it that way. All attempts to keep it going have petered out due to lack of female interest. Would that your polemic might inspire others to join in. It really is quite a blank canvas with a lot of potential, but it's going to take women, not men, to make a go of it.

In my opinion, you are probably going to have to symbolically throw the men out. Otherwise the forum will be just like the others with only a female name over it. The emphasis has to be on the female perspective. How you'd go about getting the boy's to just shut up and listen is beyond me. Limiting the topics might help, most seamanship, gear, and maintenance questions are gender neutral. And our current crop of female hardy's is quite comfortable giving us guy's a sharp elbo in the ribs when needed-they play on a level field with us in the other forums.

Aside from whatever feelings you may have about your appearance, we are enthusiastic supporters of women sailing; after all, they were'nt talking about some guy when they referred to a face that launched a thousand ships. And we're big on any good excuses for launching ships. I think you'll find that there is an almost undetectable presence of men who dislike women on board; you'll find countless threads devoted to just the opposite goal-involving wives, girlfriends, and children more. We look forward to more of your enthusiasm and well told stories.