SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson 303, P30, Flyer
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2002

gstraub is on a distinguished road
Pearson 303, P30, Flyer

I owned a Pearson Flyer for 11 years. The Flyer is NOTHING like the typical Pearson. The Flyer was conceived as a one design racer/weekender. It has a D/L of 175, so it is not quite an ultralight. It is flush deck, outboard unbalanced spade rudder, fractional rigged sloop. Hull is balsa core. It looks like a J24 on steroids.

There is not much to the interior. It has headroom of just over 5 feet in the main cabin area. The forepeak is for sail storage and a portable head. There is no vee berth. Next aft there is a small sink and room for a small stove (not gimballed). Settees port and starboard and very comfortable and roomy quarter berths as there is no cockpit lazarette. Inboard is a one cylinder diesel (BMW I think). Mine had been replaced with a Yanmar 1GM10. Rigging is good with a bendy mast and adjustable back stay.

The boat sails like a dinghy with the fin keel and unbalanced spade rudder, but it sails well and is a tremendously fun boat to sail. We had ours on SF bay and sailed on the bay and a little way down the coast to Monterey a couple of times. This is definitely not a "cruising" boat, if that is what you are looking for. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a fun boat to sail with an occasional weekend overnight, then this is a nice boat to consider.

Gerhard
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook