SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

HELP: Multiple Rules involved

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  MemphisMud 
#1 ·
Winds 1 kt. Almost close hauled. Same tack (S). I established my overlap outside 2 boatlengths. Over the next minute, I converged to within 6-8 feet of W. I hailed and changed my course to converge on W. She headed up. My course still converged. She headed up. Then she was close to head to wind. I was not.

My side was now close to her stern/side. She was sailing at a reduced speed, but moving.

I say she could not tack until I drifted out of the way. She tacked, thus pivoting her stern into me.

She says I didn''t leave her room to keep clear. I say I left her room to keep clear but not room to tack. She should''ve tacked earlier. Or waited till I drifted out of the way of her stern.

I do have to leave her room to keep clear, but who says she MUST be able to tack. She could''ve kept clear by: 1. tacking earlier. 2. sailing slowly in same direction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.