SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Show Review
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2002
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Boat Show Review

A few more observations: European manufacturers are making a comeback in the American market after some were absent for a decade or so. Examples are Etap (Belgium), Dufour/GibSea (France, but now owned by Grand Soleil of Italy), Bavaria, Hanse and Dehler (last 3 German.) Also Jeanneau to a certain extent, although they never really left this market to my knowledge.

These Euro boats seem to fill the gap between the Benehuntalinas at one end and the Sabres/Tartans/IPs/J-Boats at the other -- not getting into the Morris''s, Aldens, etc. that are WAY out there. Plus their styling adds some spice to the look of things.

Will be interesting to see how well the Euro folks hang in there with this iffy economy. They should do OK as long as the dollar stays strong against the Euro -- and people keep spending $$$ of coruse. It will be interesting to find out how boats sales went at the show this year, too. The weather held down attendance the two days I was there, not to mention talk about this sniper in the DC area. (He obviously is not into boats since he stays inland.)

Multi-hulls also are still big at the show, but where do you dock them?

I didn''t mess around looking at much new gear this year, although I always stop by Harken to see their new toys. I thought about checking out radar, but it''s hard to justify that for my 27 footer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook