SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeanneau 40 Deck Salon
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Jeanneau 40 Deck Salon

I have always heard that Jeanneau''s were a cut above Bene''s in construction, fit and finnish. I have to say, after seeing the new one at the Annap Boat Show, that I was pretty dissapointed. The companionways below, leading into the staterooms were very very narrow (and I am not a big guy) with low overheards. Really unreasonably so. The wood floorboards were flimsy. I really did not like the step up and step downs in the DS design, my friend actually hit her head stepping from the salon into the forward cabin. I also did not like the fit of the large windows...seemed to me to be the first thing that would start leaking. And, if I remember correctly, the overheard in the aft stateroom was so low in some places that you could not bend your knees.

I have also read that Jeanneau, unlike Bene, uses stringers in the hull for support. While this is definately a good thing...they use wood stringers (wrapped in glass), which to me is not very desireable.

One more general comment on this design and the Bene CC design, I felt the cockpit coaming was just too wide to step over. Thus, in a rolling seaway, with slick decks, you would have to step up onto the coaming and then step down to get to the sidedecks.

I am sure these are fine boats for coastal cruising. And certainly value priced as compared with many other boats. It just felt very awkward to me.

Just my $0.02

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook