SailNet Community - View Single Post - How big is too big for one man?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014

sailpower is on a distinguished road
Re: How big is too big for one man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evongelo View Post
I'm basically trying to gain knowledge right now. I've been doing a lot of reading on this topic, but it's so much to take in that it's nice to just ask direct questions instead of browsing for hours upon hours through the the internet or forums when you have one thing you want answered specifically.
There is no answer to your specific question other than, "it depends".

Thousands of people before you have asked the same question. The forums are full of those responses which will be pretty much be what you will hear here. How many ways are there to answer an unanswerable question?

In your case it seems that you will have no way to even quantify the responses as suitable or not for you not due to your lack of experience. Don't worry, it won't matter because what you are getting is personal opinion not an answer to such an open ended question.

Why not try sailing, gain some experience and see what YOU are comfortable with. Does it really matter if someone else does it an 18 footer and someone else in a 70? How does that apply to you?

The reality is that almost any size will do it. The sailor is often the limiting factor.

I wonder how many who ask these questions actually go on to do it? Almost none I would suspect.