SailNet Community - View Single Post - Happy to be here...
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007
Peace, Courtney

DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
DJ,
As TB said, I was on my way to the big gerbil bar in the sky. If I can find it, I'll send it to you the link to the cartoon. Funniest damn thing you ever saw, and it will illuminate this character we all know as TrueBlue.

Accidental jibe is bad. Imagine yourself in your HC, sailing along on a broad reach, a nice strong quatering tailwind, and you clammer over to the starboard winche to adjust your headsail. The seas aren't huge, but you have some 3-4 foot swells, and since they are moving against your stb quarter, they make your boat a little squirrley. Since you don't have an autopilot, you're just trusting that you boat will maintain its course, and it would have for quite a while under quieter conditions... but again, it's a squirrley day. You get a little too involved in your headsail trim, when WHAM! the boom crashes to from stb to port, and the stern of your boat sloshes down and away from you. Where are you likely to go? OB, baby! You're swimming home -- but with the current! You probably would have survived, but who knows where the boat would end up...
Yikes. I say it again--yikes. You almost lost me at imagining myself in my HC...but I managed to read on. Glad you lived to tell the tale.

-Mignon McLaughlin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook