Join Date: Oct 2002
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
??C30 Points of sail, trim and tuning??
I just closed on a 1990 C30 wing keel, std. rig. I took the boat out yesterday for the first time with the 150 Genoa on the boat.
I had had it out several times prior with the main only. The wind was strong at about 20 knots. Although I was getting much more
heel, my speeds did not seem to increase much over using the main sail alone. I was topping out at about 4.2 knots. Yesterdays sail brought several questions and I was hoping to find a good resource to learn how to maximize performance of my boat.
Specifically I am interested in finding out about...
1) I was noticing that the Genoa often seemed to cause my main to luff, and although heeling a lot, speeds did not really
2) What are the proper sail trims and tightness for points of sail?
3) What is the best point of sail for my boat?
4) When do I know if I should reef the Genoa and or Main?
5) Is my rigging tunned properly? How do I check it?
6) When sailing close to the wind, I was getting pretty subsatirical Heeling. How much heel can this boat tolerate prior to
becoming concerned about capsizing?
7)What is the most efficient heel angle?
8) How do I understand proportions of Main to Genoa reefing for most efficient combined operation?
Thanks a TON!