SailNet Community - View Single Post - I Need Advice - Help THIS Newbee
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
Wow , lets take a look at this whole thing for what it is . You got you mom n baby (mom n baby are to be considered passengers busy with themselves and not crew). Sis plus hubby plus 3 with two of the 3 as good potential crew , again Sis and baby (pax not crew). Plus in laws (2 ?) plus 3 more older kids. As well as your mom that wanted to get this thing going in the first place .You all want to get into sailing on a boat big enough to hold all of you and build strong family ties. Ok 30ft is not going to be enough boat for you all . All sailboats have heeling action to them unless you consider multihulls and you may have to up your budget to get into the multi hulls big enough to accomodate your clan . Comfy cruiser with lots of space , large cockpit . Easy to sail . Forgiving for new sailors . Stable and safe .

1970s 41 ft Morgan Out Island Sloop

Big fat sailboat , wont go to wind but very nice beam reach to downwind , plenty of room to have a big fight not speak to each other for days and still live in relative comfort. Thats the only boat that comes to mind in your budget that will fit the needs of your family. Now , what you are asking for at this point in time may be a very different story once you all get going on this new adventure . Do you want a boat that sails (performs ) or a sailboat you can all fit on to grow closer as you stated your mom wanted ? I think the best course of action is to go look at a bunch o boats with all the $$$ people with you . If thats just you then just take whoever you want to have input on your decision . Climb around a bunch of em see whats available , find out what you like then come back here and ask questions about the ones you liked and why . Chances are someone on Sailnet has had one loved it and will tell you why or five to ten will tell you should not to go near one with a 12ft barge pole and why!

Happy shopping