SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard, class, and privilege
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
My initial reaction to this is ...

A lot of people confuse the words "simple" and "easy". Just because something is simple doesn't mean it's easy, they are entirely too different concepts, with almost universally opposite aims. One seeks to be sedentary and sit around indulging in pleasure without having to do the least amount of work for it, the other aims to reduce complexity, increase freedom by reducing dependence on others, and to have things in life under one's own control.

I have a neighbor who leads the simple life, and he and his 3 boys work their asses off every waking hour of the day doing it. The cows need hay, somebody has to put the chickens in when the sun goes down, collect the eggs, plow the field, mend the fences, fix the tractor, I mean there is no end to the amount of simplicity they get to enjoy every single day. Feeding hay to cows is not very complicated, I've done it, it is about as simple a thing as you can do and all you need is a pitchfork lol.

Some examples of the differences are ...
  • You can have easy access to fresh water, that involves a complicated watermaker, reverse osmosis, and all of that. *OR* You can have simple access to fresh water, and that involves using the same plastic containers that people the world over now use for carrying water from the village well back home.
  • You can have easy food, that involves having a refrigerator, pre-packaged foods, bags of chips, an electrical system to support all the refrigerator and freezer, etc. *OR* You can have simple food, which involves rice, beans, a camp stove, grinding wheat into flour, root cellaring your produce in the bilge, and lots more work.
  • You can have easy entertainment, that involves a television, dvd player, computer, wi-fi, stereo and cd's, mp3 player, cell phone, and electrical system to support it all, etc. *OR* You can have simple entertainment that requires a little more work, which involves a book. Or a deck of cards. Or a condom.
  • You can have easy boating, which involves roller furling, dinghy davits, radar screens, navtex, etc. *OR* You can have simple sailing, which involves going forward in the worst weather to put up a storm jib.
  • You can have an easy lifestyle, which involves sitting there tied up at the dock, chatting away on the cell phone to family, hydroplaning the dinghy over to the restaurant every night, paying people to fix things for you, etc. *OR* You can have a simple lifestyle, which involves anchoring, cooking on the boat, fixing stuff yourself, and catching fish and crab.

The easy life involves lots of money.

The simple life is very inexpensive.

I think people have romantic notions about living a simple life until they actually realize that water containers are really heavy, then they quickly decide that what they really want is an easy life that let's them sit around and watch other people living the simple life lol.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook