SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard, class, and privilege
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
This is a really interesting topic and one that hits home with me. Its a very romantic notion to live aboard, glorified by movies, temporary cruisers, social misfits, and those who don't live aboard. I love the idea of sitting out on the deck on a warm sunny day, diving into the warm water, swimming to shore, barbequeing, etc. But the more I stay on my boat for overnights, the more I realize that we live on land for a reason. Waking up in the morning to a cold and wet boat, every morning, taking a shower at the gym or in the cramped stall of my boat, does not appeal to me. Nor does raising a family on a boat, I can barely get along with myself alone in a room. It takes a certain rare breed to make it work and be able to handle it. Thats why most people don't.

There certainly would be less distraction on a boat, simplified as in everything is right in front of you, but easier? I don't think so. Life is what you make it, if it is hard on land, its gonna be hard on the water. I find that the more I try to simplify, the more difficult it becomes, the more decisions I have to make. I have a wandering soul, never quite satisfied, always searching for something a little better. You would think that the cruising lifestyle might be perfect for me, and it might, but its a lot different than the live aboard life. Like we have said before on here, they are two different creatures.

I hope you figure it out Hoffa, and if or when you do, give me the instructions please.

Vaya con Dios
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook