SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard, class, and privilege
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
This is a fun topic, I'll throw some more in on it ...

Another thought I have on this is that living a more minimalistic lifestyle is almost exclusively about one thing - changing very personal habits. That is what makes it hard, and that's a big reason people don't do it. I'm a terrible example of living in a simple way, my life is filled with a lot of chaos, but I have been trying to move in that direction. What I have discovered is that having a more simple life is mostly about making some very easy decisions and then doing the hard work of actually doing it. I mean we all know what living simply is, we all know how it is done, and we all have some idea of what we would have to change to do it. It's the doing that is the challenge. It's actually waking up tomorrow and doing things differently so that our habits change that would make a more simple life possible. It's little things like where you lay your keys, how you spend the money in your pocket, having a hook to hang your hat on, how far you have to walk to pick something up, etc. Making decisions about how to do these things and having some kind of a process for constantly refining it is, I think, the core of living a simple lifestyle. It's getting up every day and saying to yourself "What can I do today to make my life less complicated ?".

Some people will spend literally thousands of dollars to build and maintain a system if it will save them from having to take 60 seconds to use a 0.10$us rag to clean a 2$us bowl every day. It's not that washing a bowl is hard, it's just that they are used to tossing the bowl in a machine that does the work, and it takes effort to change that one little habit. People will go to the ends of the earth to avoiding changing habits like that, I know because I've been one of them, but I am trying to change. [edit - Not that there is anything wrong with going to the ends of the earth ]

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 10-08-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook