Old 07-24-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Music Etiquette at the Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Oh dear....

a. No hot meal. No propane or diesel?

b. The refrigeration is that power greedy?

My stove, microwave, and fridge work just fine without generator. Huh?

----------

I guess my standard for quite in an anchorage once the sun goes down is different. Dead quiet. And the notion that I have the right to change that for others is, well, greedy. The notion that someone else should have to move because of me is greedy. The more crowded the anchorage the more it falls to each of us to go above and beyond to be polite.

I'm sure your genset is quiet. I doubt it is dead quiet. As for what is down wind, that changes by the hour in many places and so is a frivolous defense.
I am so happy for you that you never have to run a generator, but some of of us just don't have all the modern systems available today. As a matter of fact, when my boat was built, it was against USCG regs to have propane aboard any boat for hire.
As for the wind shifting, you've obviously spent little or no time in the Caribbean, as you can probably count the days a year when the wind isn't easterly, on the fingers of one hand. Anyway, I certainly won't be bothering you in MD.
But I don't really understand why are you even bothering to respond to my post. You would be anchored in ten feet of water up by the beach, with all the other cats, probably half a mile to windward of me. So let's get real here, you certainly wouldn't be able to hear anybody's portable generator, let alone someone's genset, at that distance, up wind. You'll just have to come up with some other excuse for having another sh*tty evening in paradise.