SailNet Community - View Single Post - Swan 41's ?
Thread: Swan 41's ?
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
The old S & S Swans where lovely boats no doubt. Quite fast for their day, beautiful below decks , nice layout, workable galley, good sea berths blah de blah de blah. Typical IOR boats. Fast uphill, scoot along under spinnaker but with only main and genoa up not so hot off the wind. Cruising chute would fix that if you don't want to use a spiinaker.

Negatives (to my mind) were serious in terms of live aboard cruising. Moderate, at best, tankage (our 34' VDS holds nearly as much fuel as the S41 holds water.)
7' draft.
Design of the main companionway is a worry. Not because it is unseaworthy, its not. In fact that companionway is nearly as good as it gets for keeping the salty stuff out and gives you a bridgedeck to die for. No serious bluewater cruising boat should be without a bridgedeck but the Swan design effectively turns the companionway into a hatch. Makes for some difficulty coming and going and leaves the interior particularly cave like. It also makes the installation of an effective dodger well nigh impossible.

You also pay a premium for the name and given that many Swans did a fair bit of racing after 30 years she could be pretty tired.

ps - I say all that having seriously considered buying an S43. More traditional companionway which was nice but still that draft problem and it was the draft issue that was the final crunch in not buying her.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 10-08-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook