SailNet Community - View Single Post - It's a Sheave, not a Pulley
View Single Post
post #25 of Old 10-09-2007
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 451
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 10

You know that round thing on your car engine that has a v-belt running on it that drives an alternator or water pump or airconditioning compressor, it's also a sheave. but a lot of people would call it a pulley. Thats ok most people will understand what you mean. When you put a sheave between a couple of pieces of material so that it becomes portable it turns into a block.The round part with the groove that a line or belt runs on is a sheave, you are right. But it is also correct to call a block a block.
RXBOT is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome