SailNet Community - View Single Post - trip up the east coast to maine
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2001

SHIMSHON is on a distinguished road
trip up the east coast to maine

INSTEAD OF GOING OUTSIDE TO BLOCK ISLAND YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER GOING INTO NEW YORK HARBOR, UP THE EAST RIVER (THROUGH HELL"S GATE--GO THROUGH ON THE EBB OR SLACK) AND INTO LONG ISLAND SOUND--GREAT CRUISING AND GUNKHOLING. OYSTER BAY, LLOYDS NECK, PORT JEFFERSON (BEHIND THE SAND SPIT),MATITUCK ALL ON THE NORTH SHORE OF LONG ISLAND. ON THE CONNECTICUT SHORE TRY PILOT''S POINT, MYSTIC SEA PORT, ESSEX, STONINGTON THEN SAIL OVER TO NEW HARBOR IN BLOCK ISLAND. FROM BLOCK SAIL TO NEWPORT< R.I. AND ALSO EXPLORE NARRAGANSETTE BAY. THEN OFF SHORE TO MARTHA''S VINEYARD AND NANTUCKET GO BACK THROUGH WOODS HOLE PASSAGE (WATCH CURRENT & TIDES)THROUGH CAPE COD CANAL TO GLOUCESTER, MA. TRY LITTLE HARBOR,NEW HAMPSHIRE--STAY AT WENTWORTH BY THE SEA MARINA--BEAUTIFUL!! SAIL ON TO PORTLAND, ME AND THEN SPEND AS MUCH TIME AS YOU HAVE AVAILABLE CRUISING "DOWN EAST"--INCRDIBLE SAILING. WARNING--LOTS OF UNPREDICTABLE FOG JULY AND AUGUST--RADAR IS GREAT BUT GOOD NAVIGATIONAL SKILLS WILL HELP IF YOU DON"T HAVE IT. ALSO YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER A SPUR CUTTER--LOBSTER POTS ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE INCLUDING MOST OF THE CHANNELS. IF YOU SAIL AT NIGHT YOU WILL GET HUNG UP ON THE POTS, SOONER OR LATER. ALSO GET A COPY OF THE MAINE CRUISING GUIDE--ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED AND VERY INFORMATIVE. I KEEP MY BOAT IN MAINE AND WOULD BE MORE THEN HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY OF YOUR QUESTIONS.

FAIR WINDS--PETER

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook