SailNet Community - View Single Post - Annapolis boat show impressions
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
Oh, and these dealers don't go to the boat shows to just make nice nice. There is a lot of expense to get those boats to the show and to man the presentations. Don't sell boats...why go to the expense?
Sure, the end goal is to do business - but not necessarily right then and there. The goal for a boat company having a presence at a boat show is to create demand by building the brand name and reputation. Catalina is a great brand. But after a couple of days at the boat show you don't want to have to engage with every salesperson, and wearing a color coded sticker so a salesman can identify you and try to sell you a boat takes energy. As CD mentioned, I think the deal here is that the boat broker probably ran the display. Their goals are more short-term oriented.

I may never buy a Cabo Rico, but they were proud of the boat they were displaying and were eager to talk about it. The people we went with had been on it earlier and had suggested we go see it. That's how you build excitement about a boat brand I think. They made you want to strive for a Cabo Rico.