SailNet Community - View Single Post - soft deck - Catalina hatch
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007

tomg847 is on a distinguished road
Question soft deck - Catalina hatch

I've posted this on some other forums, but just trying to find some ideas.

I put my camera on the step ladder tonight so the perspective wouldn't change while I did this. First I just put the tape measure in the hatch showing the normal non-stepped on measurement. 19 inches from the v-berth cushion to the top edge of the hatch. Then in the second photo, I stood on one foot so all my weight was next to the hatch edge (at last check, I was about 185-ish lbs). It seems that at least at that location, there is about 1/4 inch of flex, and the flange between deck and hatch splits open. Probably where the water got into the core in the first place. Now that I measured this, maybe my problem isn't as serious as I make it seem and need to quit freaking out so much? I've read of decks that sank 3 inches! Maybe I just need to drill some holes in the deck, and do the epoxy squirting and fix it that way. As for the hatch flange, it would be nice to remove it clean it up and then reinstall it. But that might not be needed. The port side (in the photo) will lift slightly, but the starboard side of the hatch still seems pretty tight, so maybe I could just epoxy and seal it better. Hmmm....

Anyway, here is the photo. Comments, ideas or just pointing and laughing are welcome. http://home.comcast.net/~tegwilym/bo...mp/decksag.jpg

(enlargement of the measurement is on the left side)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook