SailNet Community - View Single Post - Swan 41's ?
Thread: Swan 41's ?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleRussell View Post
I love the lines of the old Swan's. The S&S pointy ends, the rounded tumblehome, the racy looking flush deck. Yes I'm a completely irrational old guy.

That said the cost of repair worries me. I have heard stories about the rudders not being big enough so that one has to perfectly manage the main in heavy air to maintain control. I don't like the pure IOR rigs. The main hatch goes from the top of the deckhouse roof to the floor of the cabin sole. About an 8' climb. That can't be safe when heeled. Pipe berths in the fo'cstle aren't cool but I think I can fix that with plywood and some nice teak trim. All the other bunks are narrow sea berths. The look and feel seaworthy but are not real comfortable at anchor.

For sure I will get a surveyor. Because of my fear of the cost of repair, the engine mech and rigger sound like a good idea.

So at this point I am ambivalent.
For what it's worth, we have not had any issues of being overpowered due to the rudder. Another way of looking at it is the skeg rudder is arguably safer, as you are less likely to lose it or have it damaged at an inconvenient time (although I guess any time is an inconvenient time for rudder damage).

We have also had no problem with the hatch or companionway, even when heeled, and I have two young kids who like to enter and exit at the most inconvenient times. And this configuration makes it less likely to have water get into the cabin in bad conditions and enables the fairly sizable aft cabin.

I've also found the berths to be comfortable and more than roomy enough (I'm 6'4"). We do not use the v-berth for sleeping.

I can't argue that it may cost more to maintain than some other boats. But the integrity of the hull and overall construction should be exceptional for a thirty year old boat. Of course, GET A SURVEY.

If I sound like a saleman, sorry, but we really like the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook