SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is there a simple way to reseal the exhaust muffler on a 1985 Catalina 30' Tall Rig?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007

seekinghappiness is on a distinguished road
Is there a simple way to reseal the exhaust muffler on a 1985 Catalina 30' Tall Rig?

Since I am not mechanically inclined (my expertise is in computer hardware/software) is there a simple way to reseal the exhaust muffler on a 1985 Catalina 30' Tall Rig? The muffler housing has a steady, small water leak on the lower right corner, that ends up in the bilge.

The bilge was absolutely dry during the on-the-water boat survey, and for 3-4 short sailing days on lake Ontario, Sodus Bay area, until a couple of days ago when for the first time, I noticed water in the builge, below the level when the floater switch for the electric bilge pump becomes active, and also noticed some debris that look like sea weed.

I also noticed that for some unknown reason, when I temorarily remove the small threaded draining plug from the exhaust housing, a lot more water that I got used to see, drains into the builge area. Does this mean that the exhaust is getting worse day by day?

Things to consider when troubleshooting this issue: the pump out of the holding tank followed by putting water with a hose through the holding tank valve then again pump-out, motoring in heavy waves that were crashing against the stern (outlet for the engine exhaust center position on the lower end of the stern, and next the outlet for the electric bilge pump), and a docking area that is exposed to wind and waves hitting the stern.

I dried the bilge with a wet 1hp shopvac and the second day I had again a little water in the bilge, this time with no signs of debris/sea weed.

I am a little nervous about this water in the builge, especially since I got used to the thought that my sailboat builge was completely dry.

I would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions on how to possibly resolve the water leak issue without recurring to marina repairs (expensive).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook