SailNet Community - View Single Post - Balanced rig/weather helm
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Balanced rig/weather helm

I think I'm getting better at tuning the rig on my boat. Last time I was out in winds over 10-15 mph the wheel wasn't much of a problem to handle. Back in June when the sheaves (not pulleys ) let go we were in about 25 mph wind and I was wrestling the wheel just before they let loose... Per CLUNK! (thank heavens for emergancy tiller handles )

It seems the very slightest adjustment on the backstay really makes big differances! Center of effort and all that stuff

This winter I really think I want to get the headstay shortened about an inch. The turnbuckle inside the furler is all the way in and the mast still has rake I want to ease out. It's keel stepped. the boom is starting to hit the bimmin top lately too. But when I let the backstay out too much the furler binds up.

Is a backstay adjuster a good idea?

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook