SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't have to be rich to sail
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

I have sailed since '95 when I tipped the club's Albacore into the Ottawa River in May as part of my dinghy lessons. By "club" I mean a co-op where we all raked the lawns in the spring, cleaned and launched the boats and took turns manning the rescue boat.

I progressed to Basic keel boat the following summer, again on the Ottawa, coastal navigation in the fall and Intermediate cruising in the BVI's in March. If I didn't have points I could not have afforded to get to the BVI's.

Moving to Toronto in 2001 I joined a sailing club right on the downtown waterfront. It was $120 a month and I could walk across the street every day and take one of their J24's or Sonars out for 3 hours. That was cheap fun. I also crewed on race night and that is where I learned about sailing.

But still no boat of my own.

Dec 2006 chartered an old, really old, Ben 38 from North South in BVI's. Boat was $1800 US. Flew on points

2008 and 2009 sailed with a Cdn friend we met in the BVI's in 2006. He had a 37' Cat. Paid $0 for boat but bought his rum fuel and food. Man he drank a lot.

Aug 2012: wife gets joke email with 100 people in cc box. She sees email address of long lost friend she had not spoken to for years.
She reaches out..."where are you?" At 52 he decided to upgrade from Chiro to MD and he was studying at U of Anguilla off SXM.

"What did you do with your old sailboat that you took my 6 year old daughter and me on 12 years ago?"

"Oh that *&%%$$? I am trying to get rid of it"

(Ask him how much says me poking her)

"Pay the guy what I owe him for storage the last 3 years and it is yours"

For $800 I now own 81 Edel 665 with 2000 Honda 8 HP and cradle.

I replaced all halyards and sheets, gutted the interior, added some wood, painted the hull and launched May 24 2013....maybe $600 worth of material but a lot of work.

This is my second summer and I still need to:
-replace motor lifting bracket
-install used VHF i have in a box
-get a battery for nav lights and VHF
-paint deck / cockpit
-install window in jib

Money is tight so those will happen when they happen. She is clean, sails fast under one reef and I will drive the 9km even just to sit in the cockpit and enjoy the moment.

I pay $1580 mooring / 700 winter storage so that is the biggest expense every year.

On the side of the pop-top there is a spot reserved for her name, Seque.
(that expense will wait too)

Other than my spouse, she is the deal of my lifetime.

1981 Edel 665
Currently on top of the water and the world @ Lakefront Promenade Marina, Mississauga, ON
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook