SailNet Community - View Single Post - Variables in Sailing off a Lee Shore
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
Just too many variables that you can have at the time , when you need to get away from the leeward shore that is threatening . A couple of hairy momments I recall where having to sail back to the dock after my deisel died on me and the wind picked up . Trying to manage the sails was a pretty ugly affair and the 41ft Morgan is not the worlds most responsive boat at the best of times. We came out unscathed largely by quickly increasing our head sail and taking the opposing tack . Ugly , lucky , scary yes , all of the above . If I hadnt had my wife whip out the sail and tacked we would have been in trouble . Did I think it through first , no , not at all . The whole thing happened so fast I was in a mood to try anything to get that big bugger of a boat to move . The other hairy one I wasnt driving but it was in my schooner days on a 160ft er we got caught in a bit of a squall , returning to Baltimores inner harbour . It came up so quick the staysail was shredded . The crew freeked out and the skipper white knuckled and wide eyed . He put the engine throttle down so hard but the ship didnt budge . She was creeping backwards into the docks , just before he gave the order to unleash the anchor the wind died down as fast as she had come up on us . We again where lucky , scared and ugly on that one too . There is no real way to suggest what you must do when this happens to you . The only thing I can tell you is keep trying things till something works .