SailNet Community - View Single Post - What kind of work do you do to finance your sailing?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: What kind of work do you do to finance your sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosdad View Post
if anyone here is a high school guidance councilor I want to thank you from the bottom of my bourbon glass for telling the last 25 years worth of high school students they better go to college and forget working in a skilled trade,
That's been going on a lot longer than 25 years. Everyone in education has a degree and the vast majority of them are education snobs. The general attitude is the same now as it was in the 60's - trades are only a default for those who can't cut it in academia, not a "choice" as such. Heading for the trades is tantamount to riding on the short bus.

The sweet irony is that most skilled trades people make a lot more money than teachers and with a lot less stress too.

When I had hardwood floors laid in my house a few years ago, the thirty something guy who laid them made multiples of 6 figures annually over the preceding few years - over $300K one year.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook