SailNet Community - View Single Post - What kind of work do you do to finance your sailing?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: What kind of work do you do to finance your sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
That's been going on a lot longer than 25 years. Everyone in education has a degree and the vast majority of them are education snobs. The general attitude is the same now as it was in the 60's - trades are only a default for those who can't cut it in academia, not a "choice" as such. Heading for the trades is tantamount to riding on the short bus.

The sweet irony is that most skilled trades people make a lot more money than teachers and with a lot less stress too.

When I had hardwood floors laid in my house a few years ago, the thirty something guy who laid them made multiples of 6 figures annually over the preceding few years - over $300K one year.
As a retired high school teacher I must be in a minority. One of my best writers became a welder so that he could have time to write.

I encouraged any post secondary education, especially the trades. I want the gas fitter who plumbs my house to be really smart.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook