SailNet Community - View Single Post - What kind of work do you do to finance your sailing?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: What kind of work do you do to finance your sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
As a retired high school teacher I must be in a minority. One of my best writers became a welder so that he could have time to write.

I encouraged any post secondary education, especially the trades. I want the gas fitter who plumbs my house to be really smart.
In my experience, that would definitely put you in the minority Jack. In my day, academics were the ONLY really acceptable education path - not going to college was perceived as failure.

Maybe having an RSM for a father gave you a different perspective. My dad had a PhD. and my sister a Ba. but I only took courses I was interested in. My folks were very upset about it until I talked my way into a job with IBM, back when that was real Buck Rogers stuff.

In my case, universities didn't really offer anything I was interested in and I wasn't going to spend 4 years or more getting high level resume entries.

My oldest childhood friend spent 12 years in college, becoming a double PhD in psychology. At this age he has doubts he made the right decision. Certainly from a financial perspective he didn't - I earned good money for those 12 years while he just spent on college. He never caught up.

It's far more important to learn something you like to do for work rather than getting the aforementioned resume entry because "it's simply expected".
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook