SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Propane leak

7K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  vabuckeye 
#1 ·
So, I finally installed my brand new propane system, with alarms, solenoids and all. And the first pressure test reveals a slow leak.
I took the entire system apart, testing shorter pieces until I am left with just a tank, a pigtail hose and a regulator (plugged on the other end). The leak is still there. So, I bought a new pigtail and a new regulator - and changed over and resealed all the connections - same result.

Anyone dealt with that before? Could it be the tank itself? How the hell do i find it? Soap and water failed miserably, perhaps because the leak is very slow (I get down from 175psi to 120psi or so in 24 hours). Ideas would be very welcome.

#30 ·
Rockter,

The pressure guage is downstream of the tank valve, and its sole purpose is for testing the propane system for leaks when the manual tank valve is CLOSED. The guage is never used to measure the pressure in the tank, which as you correctly point out is largely meaningless information.

#32 ·
Nitrogen is a Group 15 element. The element seemed so inert that Lavoisier named it azote, meaning "without life". Nitrogen gas is colourless, odourless, and generally inert. As a liquid it is also colourless and odourless. Prof. James Marshall U of North Texas

Nitrogen is the recommended gas for leak testing, purging, and brazing In the HVAC & R industry.

Air, freon, water, propane, oil, and so on and so on will react to changes in temp. My point is that nitrogen will not and makes a better gas to check for leaks.

#33 ·
Might want to check your basic chemistry again. All gases expand and contract to some degree with changes in temperature including Nitrogen. Nitrogen is generally used since it won't generally contaminate the system or cause corrosion or other problems.

The ideal gas law basically states:

PV=nRT

where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, T is the temperature in degrees Kelvin, and r is the universal gas constant. If the temperature changes, the volume will either increase or the pressure will.

Nitrogen is a Group 15 element. The element seemed so inert that Lavoisier named it azote, meaning "without life". Nitrogen gas is colourless, odourless, and generally inert. As a liquid it is also colourless and odourless. Prof. James Marshall U of North Texas

Nitrogen is the recommended gas for leak testing, purging, and brazing In the HVAC & R industry.

Air, freon, water, propane, oil, and so on and so on will react to changes in temp. My point is that nitrogen will not and makes a better gas to check for leaks.

#35 ·
"Nitrogen is an inert gas and is not chemically active."

"Air, freon, water, propane, oil, and so on and so on will react to changes in temp. My point is that nitrogen will not and makes a better gas to check for leaks."

Should have read that nitrogen is considered an inert gas and is not considered chemically active.

My second statement should have read that considered dry,nitrogen will not contract and expand as great to changes in temperature and makes a better gas to check for leaks.

In context of the original question, I considered original statements correct. I was relating nitrogen to the other gases available to a DIY (compressed air, propane, ands so forth). Outside of the question and I can see where my statements may have seemed slightly bold and partially incorrect and have adjusted accordingly.

If there is something better for pressurizing and leak testing piping that is easily accessible, please let me know.

Sorry about being so late to respond, reality is getting in the way of my fantasy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.