SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rigging Tips for a 37 Pac Sea?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Nothing special about rigging that one. Just like any boat start with the headstay and backstay to set the rake. Then the uppers to put the masthead in the center. Now fill in with the lowers etc to get the stick straight and then sail the boat to tune her. Sighting along the sailtrack is a good reference for straight. Some people use a Loos gauge to set the tension with different amounts of preload in the wire depending on how you feel about preload and how you were taught to tune but I find that the pluck approach works well with the final tuning done under sail.

If you do decide to use the gauge approach Loos recommend a preload of 15% of the wires breaking strength for the headstay and in a masthed rig they say to use 10 to 12% for the upper and lower shroud while in a fractional rig they recommend as much as 20% if the shrouds have a lot of drift aft of the mast and contribute to headstay tension. Something that doesn’t apply in your case. In no case should you exceed 25% of the wires breaking strength. And I think you need slightly more tension in the upper then the lower for both the masthead and fractional rig. The upper is longer so it will stretch more then the lower if you start out with equal tension in both wires. But as I said the pluck approach is simple and works well after very little practice.

I think the mast on that boat wants to be straight so don’t let the racing crowd or the dock walkers talk you into pretending that you have a bendy rig. You are a designer so you know what Euler said and the rules about long slender columns and buckling.

What is it with New Orleans and Navel Architects? A friend of mine, Chris McKesson, who is also a Naval Architect and live-aboard on a Columbia 36 is moving in January 2008 to New Orleans and will be teaching a course in the Practical Design of Advanced Marine Vehicles at the University of New Orleans. It seams like there are more NA and ME in New Orleans now then in Newport or New York.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Last edited by Tartan34C; 10-14-2007 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Add Loos gauge settings
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook