SailNet Community - View Single Post - upwind characteristics
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road
Re: upwind characteristics

Sorry I'm late jumping in here. As an Allmand 31 owner, I was scepticle about the performance also as I read reviews. Problem is the reviews haven't come to pass OTHER than not being the fastest in the fleet. I point 30 deg. How much do you need? She is about the most trackable boat this size I have ever sailed. Heels easy to 20 and then stiffens up good. 4-5 knots through the water anytime there is 10k of wind. Light air sailer she is not UNLESS you put out the chute. This past weekend I saw 3.5k with an 8k breeze... spinnaker alone. Very solid boat. Mine is an early hull (#15). The interior is solid teak. I noticed they went to laminated stuff later on. Very heavy boat - 5.5 tons.

Now... would I go offshore here on the west coat with this shoal keel? Nope. Would I go blue water? Nope. HOWEVER, she is the perfect boat for cruising... lots of interior room and cozy and big enough to put a 9' dinghy on the deck.

SF Bay? That's where I cut my teeth. I would also be looking for a Catalina with a deep keel. We here in the PNW have so much more water than you do, I can cruise with the Allamnd forever and not see the same destination twice (unless I want to). Key word here... CRUISER. Perfect boat for the wife and to cruise inland waters with.

Hope this helps. - Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook