SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast height/Draft - What limitations will I have?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I would consider and have considered a trawler - even tried to buy one several times but it just was not meant to be. Why?

I enjoy CRUISING. I enjoy sailing. I enjoy anchoring out and gunkholing in the dink (actually, that is my favorite thing). I would have ABSOLUTELY no interest in a large boat if I was not going to cruise/liveaboard. But I have said this many, many times: Cruising/LA versus weekending and vacationing is totally different. I enjoy popping popcorn on a long watch at night. Though I watch very little "tv", I do enjoy the occasional movie. I enjoy sleeping comfortably and showers and having a place I can escape from the kids. I enjoy turning on the air conditioner when it is raining outside and about 85-90 degrees! Now, this is not weekend cruising I am talking about - this is living abord and cruising full time.

When you live on your boat (at least for us) we would opt to motor half the time versus going to weather. It is not that heeling bothers us, but when you LA and heel over 15-20 in seas, all your crap starts banging around and popping out of the shelves and toys go flying and the kids can't play in the floor, etc. Why bother?? For the sake of sailing??? Nah. You are a F/T LA and can sail any time and do sail all the time. It is not worth the hassle. I have met VERY FEW liveaboards that were any different. Of course, the exception to this rule is when you are making a passage. THen you just take what comes to you and you have to deal with it.

I personally do not begrudge labatt for his selectin and size. Cruising/LA to work has to be something of comfort. Comfort is different things for different people. THrowing kids in the mix adds a whole other level people cannot appreciate unless they have/are raising thier children on a boat. THere is no real reason to "grizzly adams" it anymore. I have expressed my concerns about his draft more than his bridge clearance, though both would be a killer for me as the places I enjoy going require under 65 and under 7. However, he is aware of his limitations and will plan appropriately I am sure. He is allowed to carry a larger dink with that boat (or two, as I would suggest) than what I can comforably carry so many of the areas that are unapproachable by his 'home' will be approachable by his 'car'. THe car is one of the most used pieces of equipment... or at least it was for us.

And let's not forget, he is buying one of the finest boats made in the world... well, outside of a Catalina 400, but maybe I am prejudice!!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook