SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't have to be rich to sail
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I have been living aboard and cruising 11 months a year on a months wages a year, since my mid 20's. I am anything but rich, as are most of my full time live aboard cruising friends. Living aboard has saved me so much money that I don't have to work more than a month a year. Living ashore is far more like tearing up thousand dollar bills for entertainment, than living aboard and cruising full time. If that is not the case ,then you are doing something wrong.
The rich don't want people to know that the not so rich can cruise, so they ( and ship swindlerys )sabotage such efforts, by convincing some that the expensive way is the only option cruisers have. Not only is it not the only way, but it is also often not the best way.
You can see this by the way they attack and ridicule anyone who offers more affordable and simpler ways of doing things, on this and other sites.
Don't believe them. It will cost you your dream.
It's funny you mention this.

I'll keep this longer story short.

Back in the day when l lived (aged 27) on my barebones of a Coronado25 for 3 years, l was directed by a wonderful friend to an old old salt living on his steel schooner at a nearby marina to pose him the question that was on my mind "When is a boat ever ready to cruise?" He gave me an inquizened eye and then laughed his head off and emphatically said "Never! Just make sure you have a sound hull and rig and enough food to your next port and you'll take care of the rest. Just don't be French. The French steal." Enlightened, l posed the same question to my dock crowd during sundowner purposefully in front of the Dockmaster. I got ALL kinds of crap answers from beautiful boat owners about needing this and that, so l turned to the dm on the spot and gave him my obligatory 1 months notice. That month was an interesting study in dock behavior while l prepared to leave with basically nothing of good gear. D-day came and no one would even look my way as l left. I had little water and enough MRE's to get me from Clearwater to Marathon which just goes to prove once again "Where there is a will, there is a way". I eventually figured things out along the way.

Foolish? Maybe, but l had a Damn fun year being that kind of foolish.

Last edited by Andrew65; 08-05-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook