View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew65 View Post
It's funny you mention this.

I'll keep this longer story short.

Back in the day when l lived (aged 27) on my barebones of a Coronado25 for 3 years, l was directed by a wonderful friend to an old old salt living on his steel schooner at a nearby marina to pose him the question that was on my mind "When is a boat ever ready to cruise?" He gave me an inquizened eye and then laughed his head off and emphatically said "Never! Just make sure you have a sound hull and rig and enough food to your next port and you'll take care of the rest. Just don't be French. The French steal." Enlightened, l posed the same question to my dock crowd during sundowner purposefully in front of the Dockmaster. I got ALL kinds of crap answers from beautiful boat owners about needing this and that, so l turned to the dm on the spot and gave him my obligatory 1 months notice. That month was an interesting study in dock behavior while l prepared to leave with basically nothing of good gear. D-day came and no one would even look my way as l left. I had little water and enough MRE's to get me from Clearwater to Marathon which just goes to prove once again "Where there is a will, there is a way". I eventually figured things out along the way.

Foolish? Maybe, but l had a Damn fun year being that kind of foolish.
I have found, that despite the occasional negative consequences, the foolish do seem to have a lot more fun in life.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook