SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you use dinghy lights?
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you use dinghy lights?

Bumping an oldy, but goody. If this is the first post you read, you should go read the OP for context.

So, I return to the scene of the crime. Edgartown harbor again. This time, I'm returning to the boat at night, but rather than being crystal clear, it's pretty foggy. We're also not navigating back through the harbor, but out to the Chappaquiddick anchorage.

So I say, what the heck, dig out the white light. As I leave the dinghy dock, several others are coming and going. I note that way less than half have dinghy lights.

As I make my way past the Chappaquiddick ferry, it gets much darker. The inner harbor (in the opposite direction) is lined with lit boats and houses and impossible for anyone with above a 50 IQ to get lost. But out here, it's hard to see shore. Although, you can see the lights from all the mega yachts in the distance at anchor (none fit in the harbor). Amazing sight really, it was like a lit city!

Sure enough, I swear the same yo yo is patrolling the harbor with their search light as last year. You can see the huge sword of a beam slicing randomly through the fog in the distance. Whipping back and forth and even up in the air. Maybe they thought a meteor was coming? Then, sure enough, as they got closer, they lit us up like an escaped prisoner again.

I'm already partially impaired by the bloody white light on my dink, which obviously made no difference, now they see to it that I can't see a freaking thing. Next time, I charge the offender with a combat knife and take to their inflatable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook