SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast height/Draft - What limitations will I have?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Labatt,

I perused your list and it's apparent you've put a lot of thought into this. I do notice that the HR53 doesn't meet some of the primary requirements, notably the draft. Which is a fairly significant criteria, I would think. Just a few more things to consider as you weigh the draft issue:

Yes, you can get a bigger dinghy/outboard and make the longer trip back and forth to shore, but long dinghy rides can be a major drag, especially at night. With kids aboard, in some locations it might often mean that you're out beyond the swimming/play zones where other families will have anchored. Also consider the real possibility that you could have engine trouble enroute and be sure to equip your tender accordingly (safety/survival/comm equipment).

On the plus side, she'll probably sail to weather like anything -- a useful virtue for sure.

Is HR still subcontracting their hull/decks? Last time I looked at them seriously (a number of years ago) the company that was providing the hull/decks was building them with a chopper gun, which surprised me given the HR reputation, and it was a bit of a turn-off for me. Otherwise, these seem like nice solid boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook