SailNet Community - View Single Post - Origo stoves
Thread: Origo stoves
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2002

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Origo stoves

I lived and cruised for 7 years aboard my Columbia 22, Olde Blue with a two burner Origo. I suppose I''ve done everything from heaving too and making coffee in force 7 to baking bread in a "oven" contraption I made to go on top of it. As far as I''m concerned, there is no better cook stove to be had! Mine was an older type. The flame concentrated to a tip in the center which was not so good for making omelets or pancakes, but I made "flame spreader" pieces to go over the burners and all was well. A friend of mine just bought a new Origo for his boat and it seems that the company has got the same idea and now they supply the new stoves with these inserts. The only problems I''ve found was that filling the burners in a seaway could be a bit of an act and burning raw alcohol can be a bit noxious in an enclosed boat. Otherwise, the peace of mind over propane and less hassle then the patria pressurized fuel stoves makes the Origo stove a near perfect galley mate! I’ve noticed a raw alcohol stove, I think it was a “Kenyon” but it appears to be just an Origo with a different company’s name attached.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook