SailNet Community - View Single Post - Balanced rig/weather helm
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
All in all it's all good but most importantly to this thread, on the riggers suggestion we did not fit a backstay adjuster. Thus far I think he is on the money.

Emphasise that we do very little if any racing. Maybe do some twilights but that would be about all.

Boat is a 34' steel VDS sloop, masthead rig.

So, Denise, I'd reckon you need to shorten your forestay and get that rig set up poperly. It's a bugger when you have a furler but to my mind it's worth the hassle.
Particularly for a masthead rig, unless you race I'm kind of thinking the expense wouldn't be worth the performance gain one might realize. There are many, many other things of greater importance: Properly adjusted rigging, good sails and good running rigging (sheets, blocks, vang, outhaul, etc.) are far more important, IMO.

What an adjustable backstay is going to do for you on a masthead rig is to allow you to tighten the forestay (not sure how much that matters with a furler) and perhaps bend the mast a bit--perhaps allowing you to flatten the main a bit. The only time you're really going to care about that is going to wind in heavier airs, and, again, only if you're looking for those last bits of performance improvement.

Don't get me wrong: I sincerely hope I can either rescue our backstay adjuster or replace it. But I'm not going to cry (much ) if neither is possible.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook