SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Opion about boats...
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2002

NaughtyCat is on a distinguished road
Need Opion about boats...

Denr, et.al.,
Given enough bunnyfur, houseplants, teddybears and pastel upholstery of a pinkish persuation, any boat can given the look of a fancyhouse, even the most seaworthy. As I said before, these brands generally do deliver the most new boat for your dollar. You can pay twice as much to get a boat that''s 25% better. The adage "You get what you pay for" is not entirely accurate. Perhaps "You usually get no more than what you pay for" is more accurate.

As for Nauticat constuction, briefly, the features that impressed me as right for my plans is that the hull AND deck are solid fiberglass laminate rather than cored. The keel is lead rather than iron and concrete. The interior is built by carpenters after the hull and deck are joined rather than popped out of a mold. This is more conducive for internal structural support than an ill-fitted plastic floorpan. The engine at 110hp is quite a bit larger than usually installed in a 42 foot boat with about 200 gals each of fuel and water for long range under power when desired. All this adds up to a rather heavy displacement, but they didn''t further slow her down with a tubby hullform or a full keel. It''s not the boat for casual racing on the Chesapeake, but fits my long rage livaboard cruising plans. I found her to sail better and maneuver under power better than other comparably-priced cruising designs, and offer a far better degree of fit, finish and accomodation. So it seemed to defy the old adage quoted above. Perhaps it''s because they are not aggressively marketed with slick ad campaigns. If you want further details I guess you need to get a spec. sheet from a dealer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook