SailNet Community - View Single Post - Accelerating the learning curve crewing and loosing the fear of heeling over!
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
A good post Lancer and most well written. Likewise i feel like I'm wipin' the spray off me glasses, where the hell'd me glasses go?

Ironically, I thought to post this thought before reading the thread, based only on the title. It seems that most people do better with heeling in a smaller boat. If they go out and tip over a sunfish or a dinghy a few times they learn about not only tipping over but re-righting the boat. After they realize that all they are is wet, they gain confidence. Standing on the keel is sometimes their first experience with the principles of ship's stability and righting moment. Practical experience always helps with theoretical understanding. Some never become convinced the theory is correct until they have some form of practical experience.

And it sounds like you made about just the right step up in size for that experience. You laid her over in the water (repeatedly!) and got her back on her feet. I notice the exercise went smoothly from, "we're going over" to "now what?" It probably did not become routine but calm enough to disregard intuition and rescue a finger!

There are two likely reactions from such events. One might be, "I'm never going out in that again" or "...never going sailing again" or something similar. The other reaction is, "been there, done that".

It is ironic how we think nothing of taking a smaller boat out and put her right over on her beam ends. But, when we move up to something the size of Cam's Tayana, we look askance at the person who says, "let's take her out and see what she'll do in this mess" with the goal of exploring the limits of the boat at large angles of heel. I suspect that is best accomplished by the younger sons of the actual owner of the boat, who might be conveniently elsewhere. And that may explain the paucity of data on said experimentations.

It appears that you also picked up a fair amount of practical information on the relative merits of spinnaker deployment. (g)

A great tale, thanks.