SailNet Community - View Single Post - capable world cruisers under $10k
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2002

jbarros is on a distinguished road
capable world cruisers under $10k

I just reciently realized I''ve been going about the task of looking for a boat in the wrong way.

I''d found boats that apealed to me astheticly or pricewise, and then asked if they could do what I needed. Instead, I figgured I''d ask you guys what boats you think will work for what I need, and go from there.

The Goal: A capable pocket cruiser for world sailing. Most likley just coastal cruising for about a year while I fininsh getting my ducks in order, but then off to the great wherever.

She needs to be seaworthy. I have no desire to sail into storms, but if caught, I''d like to be able to get out in one piece. I DO anticipate at least a few blue water treks.

She needs to have a modicum of comfort. eg, I want to be able to install a hot water shower. 2 burner stove is fine, I dont need a centerline queen sized bed, but I want to be dry below, and have a warm shower. Standing headroom would be nice, but is not required. (I''m 5''10" btw)

Simple is better. I like tillers. less horror stories of stearing gear failing when it''s a stick with a bigger stick on the end I''m still getting used to the fact that my next boat will probibly have an inboard engine (outboards are ok by me.)

and lastly, if she''s under $10k, I can make a way to do it. if not, I stay with my little 22'' day sailer.

So those are the requirements. I know I cant get them all, as humble as they are, but the closer the better. and for me, even the $10k is a streach, but it''s one I want to make, and will find a way to make, but still $15 is absolutley beyond my means, so the suggestion of the more expensive boats is just out.

Here''s whats on my list to investigate so far:

pearson triton
Bristol 32/30/29
Tartan 30
Mariner 28
Cape Dory 28/27
and if I can find one cheap, flicka 20

feedback on any of the above?
suggestions and or reviews of any others?

Thanks.

-- james
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook