SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blue Water!!!blue Water!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
LOL I love it , I hear ya USCGRET . Theres nothing quite like getting what you wished for and finding out you may have had a deathwish . I was baptised by fire on my first trans-Atlantic . I wont bore you all with the details but it was terrifiying and I dont think I have prayed as much before or since . Its good to share this info with people getting into cruising and passage making . A shot or two of cold hard reality shouldnt disscourage someone from doing it , but should put things in there true perspective . When you have a wave breaking half way up your headstay on a 49ft boat how big is that wave ? I'll tell ya . Its too bloody big . Multiply that with all day , all night, for several days. You cant put a bottle of water to your lips because the boat is being jerked about so violently . Yup I'm living the dream now . Even if you did crap yourself your standing in a washing machine . For those that have not had their timbers shivered yet , remember this : It will pass , you will be ok and the boat will survive seas that you cant imagine , if you keep it together and take all the saftey precautions you can . Anchors stowed bellow deck . Anything that can move stowed bellow deck if possible .All hatches dogged and duct taped , yup duct taped . Tidy up all clutter bellow deck so you can move as fast and safely as possible. Dorades removed and sealed . Keep the companionway weather boards up at all times that rogue wave will never anounce its self . Harness at all times on deck.

Other than that have fun take pictures , keep telling yourself , this is fun and I am enjoying it. LOL