SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looked at a merit 25.

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  zz4gta 
#1 · (Edited)
It needs some work, but the price is right. I'll start with the bad;

I’ll start with the bad;
Dirty and pretty empty inside, no cushions. (just my time, some cleaner, and I can make new cushions)
All running rigging will need to be replaced. ($400, lines are old, felt brittle, mildewed, etc.)
One of the starboard windows is missing (plexiglass, screws, and calking, $50)
The trailer needs new lights in the rear and a new “pivot wheel” up near the hitch. Or just a new bracket for the wheel. However the tires look real good (no cracks, plenty of tread left)
Did not see a tiller (although I wasn’t really concerned with this, all other hardware for the tiller was there).

For the good;
I counted 4 sails. I’m assuming 1 main, 2 head sails, and one was a spinnaker. The spin and one head sail looked/felt almost new.
Mast, boom, and spinnaker pole all accounted for and in good shape (no dings or bends)
The standing rigging looked good, no damage or corrosion.
All 4 winches and all cleats worked.
The paint on top, sides, and bottom was in really good shape. Bottom paint almost looked new.
No hull damage, keel damage, or damage to the rudder. Rudder moved back and forth w/o hang up.
Some electronics in the boat, radio, bow lights, and I’m guessing a fuse box (it looks old, hard to ID)

Anyway, I'm thinking of making an offer on it. I have pics but they're in a kodac photo gallery online. How do I post a link w/o having my guests login w/ a password? If you give me an email I can send you the link w/o a password.

See less See more
#2 ·
If it's just elbow grease and replacing parts that always need replacing - and the price is in line with expectations - go for it.
I have a friend with a Merit 25 up on a lift, his centerboard has been giving him problems lately, won't go up or down, not sure which...you did not mention it, but I think you should take the time to make sure it works properly. Heavy bugger, hate to have to work it when stuck.
He's using my 2.5 hp 4 stroke to push his, reports 4-5kts thru water. You also didn't mention O/B, so I'm assuming it's not coming equipped. Good news is for getting on / off the trailer it doesn't take much.
Good luck !

#3 ·
This one is 25' and a fixed keel, 4' draft. It does come with an outboard, and the price, is unbelievable. The current owner doesn't know what he's sittin on. He's a stink potter. :p

I'm stopping by tomorrow to get him a check.

#4 ·
Sounds a lot like a project boat I bought this summer. It was a cosmetic mess, but the mess was hiding a solid structure. The boat was practically free and I've had a blast over the last 3 months tinkering, cleaning and upgrading. I say if it's structurally sound, have at it!

If you're intersted, here's a website about my project: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/dreambegins/

#5 ·
Nice helms, and it looks like you're making great progress!!

The merit is structurally sound and it really only needs a good cleaning. And some wood work. On your site when you re-stained the teak w/ the tung oil, can you varnish over that? Or should a different technique be used?

kwaltersmi, I emailed you the pics of the merit. Notice the wood need re-finishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.