SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard boats for the PNW
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
What ever boat that will work where you are now, will work here in the NW. it does mist a lot, but not rain. At 36" a yr in Seattle, that is 10" less than the east coast gets from May 1 to Oct 1! So in reality, it rains more on the right side of the US< than here on the left side in a given yr. BUT< when it comes down there, it rains cats and dogs and kids and................

If you truly prefere to sail, make sure it will do well in light winds, less than 10 knots is not unusual. Todays supposid 30-40 knot winds in the interior are few and far between. Seeing puget sound as a mill pond is more common than 30-40 knot winds. A bimini might be nice for some occasions. A pilot house............wimp!...........then again, I was born on pill hill. If you have to ask, you're not a native! Trawlers are popular around here too. Not too sure you really want a full keel ocean cruiser for around here, you WILL be motoring a lot! A light to medium displacement boat, SA/Disp ratio of at least 18-1 or a bit more ie 20 o 22-1 for the light air days are good! Fin keels work well, as you will be either going upwind, or down wind. No i between. Lots of HP is good, there are a few channels with currents into the teen speed in knots! You will need to learn about currents, tides etc, or you will go backwards in some places!

When you get here, enjoy the area!
In the end, get what serves you best, as you're footing the bill, not me!

Marty
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook