SailNet Community - View Single Post - CRUISING WITH CHILDREN
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2002

namaste04 is on a distinguished road
CRUISING WITH CHILDREN

Hi Magnus,

Those are very different options...but I''m sure that any time you spend together sailing as a family will be well worth it.

My Dad had a solo architecture firm and he had to take on partners in order to be able to leave for 13 months at a time. It may not have been the best thing for his practice but it was worth it to him; I am pretty sure he does not regret it. However, it sounds like it it''s a really tough call if taking that much time off will hurt your career as you think it will.

For us right now, considerations are different. I was dx with breast cancer in Dec 2000 at age 34. It really blew our world apart. We are "just starting out" financially (though in our mid-30''s) and going cruising was a far-off dream for some day when we were more financially secure. However, we have decided it might not be a good idea to postpone our dreams. So....we''re going soon on a shoestring budget and if/when we return it will be to start totally anew with no careers or jobs to come back to. For us, though, especially given the circumstances, it''s worth it!

Best of luck with your decisions.....hope that you and your family have a wonderful time no matter what you decide to do!

Stacey
s/v Namaste
Portland, Maine

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook